Friday, July 1, 2011

Drinking through a fire hose

Holy Moly. The last 4 weeks [what? it's been that long already?] have been IN-TENTS. [I work at the campground] But seriously, things have been quite a whirlwind since I arrived at Snow Mountain Ranch on June 5th. Kara's wedding was a blast. She was beautiful and the wedding was one of the most fun I've been to. It was quite exciting, with some beautiful weather, a fun wedding party, some fainting by members of the wedding party, and LOTS of dancing. It was really fun to dance like crazy with people I don't know very well. It's a bit strange having one of your best friends married, but I suppose that's how life goes. I am really excited for her life with Chris and even more excited that she'll be in Colorado for a bit longer before she starts the exciting life of a military wife. 

The remainder of the time between Kara's wedding and today, July first have been packed full of excitement, fun, bonding, learning, and work. I wish I had time to lay out everything I've been doing in detail, but seeing as I have about reached the halfway point and am just now blogging for the first time, I'm going to have to get to that later. I'll try to summarize the highlights in a somewhat concise, articulate way. 

  • My TEAM! The girls on my team are named Michelle [CU], Kelsey [UCCS], and Karla [CSU]. I really lucked out and was given the three most fun, teachable, mature girls here. They all are an absolute JOY and I love getting to know them better. 
  • CAMPGROUNDS! I work at the YMCA campgrounds with two other team leaders [David and Reese]. The three of us get along very well and have an absolute blast just about every day we work. I am very thankful that my work experience at SMR is something that I continually look forward to. 
  • My parents and brother were able to visit on June 22 and it was really fun to see them all. While I am meeting lots of wonderful new people, familiar faces are always refreshing to see. It was also a great excuse to head into Grand Lake to see them for an evening. 
  • We're currently studying the book of Colossians and it has been enlightening and challenging to really apply the truths that God has been confronting my heart with from this book. I love it. 
  • BOYFRIEND! Mickey Brooks blindsided me with a visit to Colorado after I had completely resolved it in my heart that he would be unable to visit. It brightened my entire summer and I was excited to be able to share him with the new friends I've made. As I was afraid it would be, it was all-together too short of a visit, but I was happy to reset my countdown to the next time I'll see him. He continually reminds me of what a wonderful boyfriend he is. 
    • During his visit we did some hiking in Grand Lake, and had a couple friends join us to a look out spot that was absolutely breath-taking.
    • It was, again, wonderful to spend some time with someone who knows me extremely well outside of this program. It gets exhausting trying to get to know people all the time. 
  • God is teaching me so much. I'm writing lots down and taking time to process things. For the first time in a long time, I am seeing myself slow down and focus on things that are important, and that's encouraging. As I process I will add more here, but much of this program is like drinking out of a fire hose. 
Overall, I am thoroughly enjoying my time at Snow Mountain Ranch. It's beautiful, I am learning a lot, and I am excited for what's to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment