Monday, October 31, 2011

Jesse Katsopolis: Original Hipster.

I have a little known secret that I only reveal to the rare few who I know won't judge [too harshly].
I love Full House. 
Yes, the late 80's, early 90's sitcom masterpiece which paved the Olsen twins' road to stardom. I'd say it is a healthy obsession, as far as television show interests go; It's trumped in my TV memorable pastimes of the era only by Boy Meets World. 

[sidenote]  It's strange. 
No one will say a word when it 
comes to a Boy Meets World interest, 
but pop a Full House DVD in 
and immediately everyone is TCFS*. 

The purpose of this post is not to discuss the array of life lessons, wholesome role models, or riveting plot sequences that this show offered to viewers all over, but rather to highlight a reason why I believe it would thrive in today's culture: 

Jesse Katsopolis = hipster. 



Some have argued that Steve Urkel was ahead of his time for today's hipster-infused era.

 See here, here, or here

But I'd like to argue that Uncle Jesse, while less obvious than Urkel, exhibited trademark, unmistakable signs of hipsterdom:  

1.Real hipsters never admit that they are hipsters.

Jesse constantly lived under the stereotype of "biker dude," musician, or "bad guy" That's so hipster.

2. Hipsters wear large rimmed glasses.

3. Hipsters wear deep v-necks, large sweaters & suspenders. 

I could go on and on, but I'll leave this clip for the two hipster-trendsetters to face off. Which is the original? You decide. Notice the cowboy boots-urban look. hipster.

Ps. Happy Halloween

[*too cool for school.]

No comments:

Post a Comment