Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What I've Learned [Part 1]


I am a process. 
[My identity at any given moment in time is unchanging.
But my experience of that identity- my actions, behaviors,
and understanding of myself-is dynamic.]

I'm a person driven by all things tangible.
I want to see results of the work I put into something,
& I want to know what it takes to get something completed.
I am goal-oriented and thrive on to-do lists. To me, if it's worth doing,
it has both a starting point an & ending point.  Because I operate
this way, I often fail to recognize the journey I am on. As much
as I want to understand the things around me, I also want to understand myself &
be able to give an account for how I am doing, what I'm learning, & where I'm
going at any given moment in time. When people ask, I want
to be able to articulate myself well in a concise, measured way
 with both honesty and wisdom.

But what I'm learning in this season of life, is
that this is not always easy to do. 
In a difficult season of life, it seems as though these answers
change on a momentary basis. The answers are multi-facetted, and there
is almost always brokeness which accompanies the 
victories accomplished in growth. & that's okay, because

[growth is a process.
our lives are a process. 
I am a process. ]

It would be unfair for someone to pause any particular
moment of my life and say "this is who she is." 
Similarly, if I were to formulate a judgement by such a 
momentary perspective, I would miss out on that person's journey
toward who he or she is becoming.






1 comment:

  1. I love this so much. It is so true, and I know exactly what you mean. I'm in a place where one of the biggest areas of my life that needs growth is something I can't measure, I can't really explain, and I can't tangibly control. As a result, I feel like I'm going nowhere. But it's a process, and it's going to take a while. And it's okay if someone asks me one week how I'm doing, and then they ask a month later and I give the same exact answer... Some things are hard to explain other than, "I'm a work in progress." Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Laura!

    ReplyDelete