Monday, July 22, 2013

Fear.


I've always liked to think I was a risk taker. I've always liked to think I was independent, brave, & adventure-seeking. But the truth is, I am not- at least by nature. For as long as I can remember, I have filled my life with interests & activities that would suggest I am this way. I enjoy the outdoors, I love travelling, & I have been known to pursue lofty goals which might ultimately lead to failure. Yet, as much as I'd like to believe I am a "go with the flow & let's see what happens" kind of girl, I am just about as spontaneous as the sunrise; I am both predictable & calculated in almost every decision I ever make. I really have come to terms with this part of my personality, & when given the chance, I attempt to challenge myself through appreciating & practicing flexibility.

Despite my desire to trust a little more, & worry a little less, I am seemingly
paralyzed at times by the unknown. Whether it look like anxiety, complacency, or isolation, I have frequently allowed fear to take an authoritative role in my life. 


The past few days have made me acutely aware of how fear influences my daily
decision-making & ultimately leads to diminished joy in almost everything I do.
As I sat down this week to bring my fears to light, I realized that 
they outnumbered the goals I had in my mind. This is a problem.
I've found that when fear dictates your thought process, simple choices become agonizing, & 
complicated ones become downright unapproachable. 

 That's what fear does, it magnifies the little things until suddenly
everything is a big deal.  But the truth is, 

It's usually not that serious. 

So today, I'm learning to confront my fears.  If I believe that fear is a choice, then
renouncing it is also a choice. 

I dare you to confront a fear today. Here's to being brave. 

***










No comments:

Post a Comment