Friday, March 29, 2013

Good Friday.

"We are more flawed and sinful than we ever dared believe, yet we are more loved and accepted 
than we ever dared hope." -Dr. Timothy Keller

This afternoon I found myself sitting in a darkened room in an old building
in Nashville, thinking about what happened on this day so many years ago. 
The weather outside was appropriate for what I was thinking about- a steady, slow, drizzle of
rain that had begun in the morning had drenched everything by the time I got there. 
The rain was cold & dreary & seemed to have saturated things 
deeper than the gutters & sidewalks it fell upon. 

A few years ago, I read Atonement & it quickly became one of my
favorite books I've ever read. I've always been drawn to stories of redemption
& grace, which is why I found it weird that this was one of the first years that 
Good Friday really sunk in to me deeply. There is so much emphasis on the good news
of what happens 72 hours after this day- the most monumental event in the history of time. 
But I realized that I often overlook the somber, agonizing act of that atonement
for me. As I sat in that darkened room, I could feel the agony of Jesus' sacrifice,
-if ever so faintly at first- & it grew into a deep reflection into my own sin, 
the weight of my affliction, & the most selfless act of love ever shown on mankind. 

I found myself thankful for this day that is good

It's good because deeper than his love for me, was a desire to redeem me that I
might experience that love in intimacy. 

It's good because the depths of his grace are far deeper than the depths of my sin. 

It's good because this atonement was once & for all, freeing me from the death I deserved. 

It's good. 

2 comments:

  1. "It's good because the depths of his grace are far deeper than the depths of my sin." AMEN! girl. love it. I wish I had gone to a good friday service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good. And It Is Finished.

    ReplyDelete