Monday, March 4, 2013

Love is a puzzle that can't be solved

If it's possible to be homesick for a place you are currently standing in, that's what I am. 

Saturday,  as I ran down my favorite trail in Fort Collins, 
I felt my heart aching. The weird thing was, it was aching to be exactly where I was. 
It was as if the "I-belong-here" joy that flooded into my heart was just too
overwhelming, & the only response my heart could muster up was to hurt. It hurt for the hundreds
of memories I have made in that place, it hurt from the sheer amount of joy I was
experiencing from being there, & it hurt from knowing that that particular
stage in my life is over. As strange as it was that I felt homesick for the land I 
was standing on, it was also strange that this hurt wasn't a bad thing. 
In that moment, I realized that the changing of the seasons
--whether it be the temporal seasons, or the metaphorical ones--
is good

I realized that choosing to be present where I am is not
only necessary for the personal growth, but it is also incredibly rewarding. 
Simultaneously, as I missed that place, I felt excited for where I am, & where I'm going.

I felt excited for Nashville. 
I felt excited for new relationships there.
I felt excited for spring. 

Realizing that the love of where I am does not depreciate my love for where 
I've been is a fairly profound realization for me. The two are not dependent on
each other; there is enough love in my heart for both. 




1 comment:

  1. man! that is a great picture of you kids! you look like you could be in a band!!

    ReplyDelete