Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thoughts on fire.

I remember being younger & answering the question
"If you had to save any items as your house
was burning down, what would you save?" 
Yesterday, I faced this question with alarming reality.
Within hours of hearing of a small fire somewhat near our home,
2 police officers knocked on our door & told us to take what
we could not lose & find a safer place to stay. Within hours,
high schools became shelters, ash was falling from the sky,
& thousands of people left their homes, wondering when
they'd return & what will have changed by then.

It's a terrifyingly beautiful thing, watching the smoke billow
over the hills that I have hiked so many times, &
seeing the embers glow in the nighttime. I have this
strange feeling of helplessness, yet am in complete
awe of the power that is displayed in a wild fire. 

Being thankful & prayerful today is all that can be done.
My family is safe, my friends are safe, & that's all I can ask for.
Our house hasn't been touched yet, & we're hoping for the best.




For more information on the fire, this website
constantly updates the fire spread & evacuation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment