Sunday, November 25, 2012

Holiday Cheer

The holiday season is officially in full swing.
For perhaps the first time, I am beginning to understand why the holidays can
be a hard time for many people. I mean this in the least dramatic way possible-
My Thanksgiving was great. In fact, I had two: a "friendsgiving" here in Nashville,
and one in Jackson, TN with my aunt & uncle. My days were full of delicious food,
games, good conversation, & so much to be thankful for. I felt so loved & lucky
to have family so close, & time with my friends who also stayed in town was great.

I've written about it already, but there's something about the changing of the seasons
that is hard for me. As holidays approach, it seems like emotions-the good & bad- are
magnified by the sensory overloads, the heightened expectations of things to come, &
the uncertainty that the future holds. I sometimes feel anxious when I think about
the holiday season, and I begin wishing that everything would calm down,
if even for a moment. Before I know it, it is all over
& I've found that I've somehow missed it all.

[I don't want to miss it all.]

So here's to resting this holiday season.
Here's to warm soups, hot drinks, sweaters, & heated blankets.
Here's to joy that is rooted in the hope of a new season.






No comments:

Post a Comment