Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Recipe: homemade almond milk

As I stated in yesterday's post
I have been on somewhat of a health 
kick recently.
I am lactose intolerant, & have
taken a liking for milk
alternatives like coconut & almond milk.
The problems with store-bought kinds
are they run a bit expensively, and they
are often too sweet to cook with
and too flavorless to drink straight. 

My mom sent me an email
 from this blog & the results were delicious! 
I was worried that it would be labor-intensive
but it was  extremely easy. 
I found it still too sweet for my liking, so
I altered the recipe a little:
Almond Milk: 
Yields approx. 5 cups

1.5 cups whole, raw almonds
5 Cups water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs maple syrup
dash of cinnamon
[also need: blender, metal strainer, cheesecloth]



This recipe is simple: 

1. Soak the almonds completely covered by water for 12 hours.
The next morning, drain them and add to blender with 2.5 cups 
of fresh water. 

2. Blend the almond & water mixture for 1-2 minutes
until it forms a very smooth paste.
[This is when I resorted to the magic bullet. If you don't have one,
be patient with your blender.]

3. Add vanilla, maple syrup [or honey], and cinnamon. 
Pour in another 2.5 cups of water & blend for another minute, until frothy. 
Adjust sweetness.
[the key here is to blend until you could drink
the mixture now-still gritty, but mostly smooth.]

4. Strain mixture into a bowl through 
2-3 layers of cheesecloth in the strainer, 
gathering the cheesecloth and squeezing all the milk out.

5. Place into jars, bottles, or jugs and refrigerate.

6. You're left with a very fine almond meal in
the cheesecloth. You can dry this out
in a low-heat oven and use for baking. Or you can
throw it away. 



No comments:

Post a Comment